Tarzan vs. Mulan

5 comments

7 comments

Disney's late great 2D masterpieces. It's so hard to choose!

I wouldn't consider either of these masterpieces.

I think Tarzan is definitely a masterpiece. It used breakthrough techniques to bring added depth and scope to the African jungle, Tarzan is one of the most complex Disney heroes ever written, and the songs by Phil Collins are lyrical and blend beautifully with the story. Mulan is a very good film as well. Its songs aren't quite as good as those found in The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin, but it makes up for it with its action sequences, animation and strong focus on its heroine. Between the two, Tarzan is the better movie, but both shouldn't be counted out when ranking the best in Disney animation.

I'm not the biggest fan of Tarzan: although the animation is wonderful and there are some decent characters, I could never quite become truly invested in the story. I found the film, as a whole, just meh. Mulan, on the other hand, is very good. It's a bit formulaic, but it makes up for that with great humor, great animation and an interesting story. Tarzan isn't bad, but Mulan is much better.

I absolutely love both these films, but I'm gonna have to go with Mulan.

Well I've never seen Mulan, but it doesn't have Phil Collins music, so Mulan.

I really like them both, but the song "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" and Eddie Murphy's Mushu tip the scale in favor of Mulan for me.

Mulan for sure

im going with tarzan

Very close. Milan had bad pacing in the beginning but I guess it wins due to eddies talk and it's songs. Tarzan is just as touching, tho.

I quite love both of these. This is the first time I've been stumped while Flickcharting in quite some time. Tarzan takes this, very narrowly. These will be very close to each other on my chart, if not back-to-back.

Tarzan was pretty good - Mulan wasn't bad, but it was flawed, IMHO. Tarzan takes this one for me.

REALLY tough choice. Both of these films are among my favorites. Phil Collins' Tarzan soundtrack is incredibly memorable, but Mulan also had great songs. The narrative and atmosphere in both films is also spectacular. If only the Disney Renaissance could've gone on forever...

Mulan for better villain and songs

Tarzan was ironically more mature and had better sense of tone.

Tarzan was a fun/good watch, but I like Mulan significantly more.